Emergency contraception is not to be used as a regular method of birth control but, if needed, it can help prevent unplanned pregnancies.
If you have had unprotected sex and you already know that you do not want to get pregnant, emergency contraception can help prevent unplanned pregnancies if used as soon as possible.
Some of the reasons that you may consider using emergency contraception include:
- Missed birth control pill, patch, or injection
- No contraception was used
- Non-consensual sexual intercourse (sexual assault)
- The condom slipped, broke, or leaked
- Error in the calculation of the fertility period
Emergency contraception is intended for occasional use only, not as a regular method of birth control.
There are two types of emergency contraception to choose from in Canada. See attached below to learn about emergency birth control option available.